While there are more and more resources for pregnancy, infant and child loss, as well as pregnancy after loss, becoming available, there are still few resources for LGBTQ+ families experiencing loss and pregnancy after loss. As Jessica Clasby-Monk wrote, “I would describe being a same sex couple experiencing baby loss as being in a small pond, within a small pond.”
We’ve compiled some resources for LGBTQ+ families and will continually update this list as more resources become available. Stories are a powerful tool to connect, so many of these resources are families sharing their stories of loss and life after loss.
LGBTQ+ Loss Stories and Resources
#LGBTBabyLoss is a resource created by PALS former bump day blogger, Jessica Clasby-Monk of The Legacy of Leo. The #LGBTBabyLoss blog series shares experiences of early miscarriage, recurrent loss, stillbirth, neonatal death, prematurity, preeclampsia, and twin loss.
“There is as much diversity in death, as there is in life.” ~Jessica Clasby-Monk
Information Sheet from the Australian Psychological Society
This information sheet describes what pregnancy loss might mean for LGBT people, how mental health professionals might assist LGBT people who have experienced pregnancy loss, as well as providing some useful resources.
- Pregnancy Loss: The Neverknown by Michael Ravitch at Give InKind – a dad’s experience of pregnancy loss with a surrogate
- LGBTQ Pregnancy Loss And Miscarriage Often Means Grieving In The Gaps by Brianna Sharpe
- I hope with all my heart by Sophie at Miscarriage Matters
- When miscarriage happens to LGBTQ2 parents by Dr. Jessica Zucker at Xtra
- Pregnancy Loss Is Lonely — Especially for Transgender People by Sarah Prager at Healthline Parenthood
- Pregnancy loss: Lesbian and bisexual womens’ experience of loss at Pink Families
Reproductive Losses: Challenges to LGBTQ Family-Making by Christa Craven
- Return to Zero: HOPE – Support groups, workshops, and other resources
- Baby in Heaven – Resources and Support for LGBTQ Parents
LGBTQ+ Pregnancy After Loss
Pregnancy After Loss Support is honored to have had two LGBTQ+ courageous mamas share their pregnancy after loss journeys as bump day bloggers at PALS.
- Follow Jessica Clasby-Monk’s pregnancy after loss
- Follow Marjanna Barber-Dubois’s pregnancy after loss – “Pregnant During Pride, Again” is such a poignant look at pregnancy after loss for a queer couple.
We hope these resources help you feel less alone on your loss journey as an LGBTQ+ family.