We had our anatomy scan on Friday. As previously mentioned we went to MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) for the scan. I was curious how it would go, because the office changed some policies since the last time I was there. There is NO phones, NO pictures, NO video recording, etc. Last time, Husband and I were able to take pictures and video if we wanted. It was nice. So going in, I was a little anxious. Husband had a test later that day he wasn’t prepared for so he wasn’t sure if he would come along. He ended up slapping on his pajamas and tagging along. He asked if I was embarrassed to be married to the Hobo. I told him he was my Hobo!

Rachel's Bump Day Blog, Week 21: Anatomy Scan

Once we got back into the room, of course it is nerve-wracking.

I was there for a short time before the sonographer walked in singing, YES singing, “HAPPY FRIDAY!” I knew in that moment, we would get along GREAT. She got me all set up, laid down, gel on belly. She confirmed that we wanted to know sex. So, she made sure there were in fact male anatomy parts in here. Good news, genetic testing was correct. He is still a boy by anatomical standards.

She glided around and showed us the hands and feet (10 fingers, 10 toes). She showed us his tiny stomach, kidneys with proper blood flow, placenta with proper blood flow. Little four-chamber heart at multiple angles. I saw all the ventricles of the little thing. Measured head size, femur size, and arm size. He is already in the 76th percentile for growth. So, GD (Gestational Diabetes) is doing its larger baby thing. My friend pregnant at the same time, her daughter is a little smaller than usual. She lovingly told me she figured he was bigger cuz my belly was bigger than hers. *giggles* I told her thanks for calling me fat. (This is the friendship we have)

The doctor came in to chat with us.

He was very kind and friendly. He looked a little more at the heart just to make sure everything was good. We discussed that last time I was sent to Children’s for the scan. He indicated that everything looked good and that was not a concern at this point.  We discussed my insulin regimen, and what he is looking for. I later remembered to ask about NSTs (Non-stress tests). Something that I did with Rainbow, and is done with many high risk diagnoses.

In an NST you go to the doctor’s office 1-2 times a week. They hook you up for monitoring, where they place a heart monitor and contraction monitor on you. You sit there for about 20 minutes and they watch to make sure the heart rate escalates just enough in a certain time. If baby is ‘sleeping’ they will try to rouse them with this little vibrating thing that ultimately startles them. Before you leave a doctor looks at the monitoring and signs off on it. For Rainbow, after a certain point they also did ultrasounds once a week to check on the fluid around baby to make sure she still had enough cushion.

I will need to do NSTs with little Caboose again due to the GD and advanced age.

So I will get my time with the wonderful RNs at my doctor’s office again. Last time I would always bring a book just in case I got bored. I think I read maybe 20 pages for the nine weeks I went. Those RNs were a hoot. I remember around 38-weeks they would see little contractions and would get excited for me. Then she took 28 hours to make her appearance with induction… so yay for Braxton-Hicks.

Glad the big part is over… waiting to get to viability… then day by day from there.

Share this story!